[Debburn-devel] wodim package broken?

Lin Richardson lin at xmission.com
Thu Nov 23 07:57:13 CET 2006

If this is not the correct place to address wodim package errors, I'm
sorry... will you please forward it on for me or point me in the right
direction.

I cannot get the wodim package to install via apt-get... very strange.  I
have tried 3 different mirrors including kernel.org and easynews.com.  Also
tried testing and unstable, both give the same error.  The package name is
screwy looking to me, but I don't guess that is the problem.

CD recording is, of course, my goal - k3b and xcdroast both require wodim.
I've tried loads of stuff including renaming the package and trying to use
dpkg -i to get the job done.  No dice.
I also tried changing permissions on and even removing /usr/bin/readcd, but
if that's the issue, it isn't so easliy fixed.
I'm not familiar with package collision under Debian, in fact I never have
problems with apt-get / .deb files, so I don't know what to do at this
point.

Any other suggestions?

Regards,
Lin Richardson

the error I receive is as follows:

~$ sudo apt-get install wodim
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
  wodim
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 50 not upgraded.
8 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/412kB of archives.
After unpacking 897kB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 145135 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking wodim (from .../wodim_5%3a1.0~pre5-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/wodim_5%3a1.0~pre5-1_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/readcd', which is also in package cdrecord
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 /var/cache/apt/archives/wodim_5%3a1.0~pre5-1_i386.deb