[Debburn-devel] want to help

Peter Samuelson peter at p12n.org
Wed Sep 6 19:34:30 UTC 2006

[Albert Cahalan]
> It's still icky and irritating. I get to be the only person with a
> totally sucky username, and it doesn't match what I use elsewhere.

I see why you're annoyed, but you are not in fact the only -guest.  I
will be too.  My username may change to a non-guest one some time in
the future (after I become a Debian developer) but it is not one now.

> Do I get any access to machines for porting? I could really
> use accounts on unusual Linux architectures and non-Linux
> systems. (for procps too actually)

The alioth system doesn't include auxilliary porting machines.
debian.org of course has lots of them, and a few are open to
non-developer accounts by request - basically you convince the admins
that your work there will benefit Debian.

For a list, see http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi.  I think getting
access to one is a matter of emailing <debian-admin at lists.debian.org>.

> Sure you want to change the executable name?  It'd be no worse than
> the "kill" programs in procps, util-linux, bsdutils, and elsewhere.

The point here is to follow the SchillingGPL.  He gets pretty irate
when people do anything at all with cdrecord that he doesn't directly
sponsor.  Produce another program of the same name and he's likely to
froth at the mouth and make noise about copyright lawsuits.  This may
be unavoidable in any case, but the idea is to give him as little of a
leg to stand on as possible, so that if and when he starts ranting at
us, outside observers who check even the most basic of facts will burst
out laughing.

> Having seen some of the cdrecord output parsers out there, I suspect
> that an 8-character name would be less trouble.

That's pretty scary.

> In addition to the obvious time problem (work schedules), some of us
> just don't use chat/IM stuff ever.

We can't very well have a face-to-face meeting to discuss things, and
mailing lists are high-latency.  The Debian Project has a history of
using IRC for real-time decision making from time to time (most things
still happen on mailing lists, though).

I'm sorry if you feel left out by this mode of communication, but it
_is_ how most teams in Debian operate.  I posted the minutes earlier,
in any case.

> How about splitting off an etch branch right now, then
> opening up the main branch for general hacking?
>
> It's not as if the etch branch should really change.

Now that we've come to a point where the package builds and appears to
work on all (well, several) debian architectures, I'd support this
idea.  It's true that we are pretty much in a releasable state now.
Perhaps we can branch etch off after a few more days for things to
settle down.

Peter