[Debburn-devel] What is going on?

Albert Chin debburn-devel at mlists.thewrittenword.com
Tue Sep 19 17:20:26 UTC 2006

On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 09:53:38AM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Albert Cahalan]
> > Note that a C99 requirement merely rules out many compilers.
> > You can use gcc on Windows, even without Cygwin.
>
> Well, I didn't just mean the compiler features, but also the runtime.
> For the compiler it would be nice to rely on <inttypes.h> (especially
> int64_t), but there's also C99 library APIs like strtoll() (which
> obviously wasn't in C89 because 'long long' wasn't).  Being able to
> rely on int64_t, but not things like strtoll, is still a bit limiting.

We did a survey of native vendor compilers and C99 support (including
libc runtime). You can find it at:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-January/msg00275.html

> > Of course, if nobody cares about non-Linux, things can be greatly
> > simplified.
>
> I'm sure there's a healthy userbase for Solaris and the BSDs/Darwin.  I
> don't know whether anyone cares about old, posix-challenged Unixes for
> this sort of thing anymore.

We care about AIX, IRIX, HP-UX, Tru64 UNIX, and Solaris. CMake needs
some work on these platforms which we'll hopefully get to soon then we
can try building on the platforms we have.

--
albert chin (china at thewrittenword.com)