[Debburn-devel] cmake trouble when building on FreeBSD

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 21:24:35 UTC 2006

On 9/24/06, Peter Samuelson <peter at p12n.org> wrote:
> [Albert Cahalan]

> > You don't. You fix the include path.
> >
> > gcc -I/usr/local/include
>
> There's still a cmake bug here.  It is very bad for a configure tool to
> detect something and then not arrange for the compiler to find the same
> thing.  It should pass -I/usr/local/include to CPPFLAGS or equivalent.
>
> (One might say I'm not really sold on cmake.  It seems really simple
> compared to autoconf ...  until you run into bugs like this one, which
> show that nobody has tested cmake at all in heterogeneous environments.
> It's easy to build an autoconf replacement that supports "any platform
> you like so long as it's Linux / glibc".)

Well, it supports Windows XP with Visual Studio 2005 at least.
That's about as far from "Linux / glibc" as you can get. I know
this works because I use it at work.

Having dealt with the crawling horror which is automake, I'm at
least somewhat happy to be learning cmake. Perhaps it is bad,
but I'm 100% sure that automake is bad.

I wouldn't mind writing a proper non-recursive Makefile. It'd run
fine on FreeBSD using the gmake command. Supporting all
sorts of systems should be doable, with automatic selection of
the compiler flags as needed. Windows would require a POSIX
shell as well. An extra benefit is that a non-recursive Makefile
is very fast.