[Debburn-devel] Character sets in UDF

Florent Rougon f.rougon at free.fr
Sun Jan 21 20:09:08 CET 2007

Hi,

I'd like to create UDF filesystems for DVD-R that can be read correctly
on Linux, Windows and possibly MacOS X. I'd like to use characters that
are found in ISO 8859-15 (and therefore in Unicode), but if there is no
portable way to do that with UDF, I may consider falling back to ASCII.

I read the genisoimage(8) section on character sets, but I'm still not
sure if there is a way to do that (and I'm confused by the fact that
ISO9660 and UDF are not treated separately; do Joliet and Rock Ridge
extensions apply to UDF, for instance?). I have the impression that you
can write your UDF file names with basically whichever charset and
encoding you want, but the actual charset/coding used is not specified
in the UDF filesystem (as metadata).

Many thanks for shedding light on this.

PS: I did read about the alpha status of UDF support in genisoimage(8).
    I'm new to DVD writing and I thought UDF would be the right choice
    for writing data (not DVD-Video) with potentially large files (more
    than 2GB) to DVD-R media. But I saw there are several "competing"
    packages for DVD writing. If you think there is a better tool to do
    that in Debian, please comment. Thanks.

--
Florent