[Debburn-devel] issues burning using a Plextor CD/DVD drive

Sean Perry sperry at vicor.com
Tue Jan 30 19:00:41 CET 2007

I have a PX-760A that is giving me grief. When connected to the system's
PATA controller all is well. If instead it is connected to an external
USB or ieee1394 controller the device is removed by the kernel.

Here is what happens near as I can tell after doing some snooping with
GDB and printf.

I run 'wodim dev=$DEV -checkdrive'. The wodim code hits the "is this a
plextor?" code path. Once ANY of the Plextor specific commands are sent
the SCSI bus times out and the kernel marks the device as misbehaving
and removes it from the SCSI system.

My problem is this drive is meant to be used in our externel cd burning
robot which uses firewire 800 so just working as a PATA direct connect
is not sufficient.

Any other debugging info I can provide, please let me know.