[Debburn-devel] wodim -dummy broken

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue May 29 07:12:38 UTC 2007

Hi,

Chris King:
> > Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems like the -dummy option is
> > broken for DVD media.
Gabor Z. Papp:
> This problem confirmed by me using Plextor and +R media.

There is few hope to achieve -dummy with DVD+R media.
With CD media, -dummy is implemented by setting parameter
"Test Write" of SCSI mode page 05h.
I am not aware of any other method to cause dummy burns.

MMC-5, 7.5 says that mode page 05h applies to:
  "CD-R, CD-RW (not MRW formatted), DVD-R, and DVD-RW media."
But
  "If a medium is in Restricted overwrite mode, this mode page
   shall not be used.
   [...]
   The parameters specified in this mode page are not applicable
   to DVD-RAM, DVD+R, DVD+RW, all recordable BD, all recordable
   HD DVD and any media that is formatted as MRW.
   [...]
   On CD-R/RW media the Test Write bit is valid only for Write
   Type 1 or 2 (Track at Once or Session at Once).  On DVD-R
   media, the Test Write bit is valid only for Write Type 0 or 2
   (Incremental or Disc-at-once)."

So the bug is rather in this unconditional promise made by wodim's
man page:
  "The  CD/DVD-Recorder  will  go through all steps of
   the recording process, but the laser is turned  off
   during  this  procedure."

Have a nice day :)

Thomas