[Debburn-devel] Errors when attempting to burn DVDs

Julian Calaby julian.calaby at gmail.com
Thu May 31 13:00:42 UTC 2007

On 5/31/07, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I am attempting to burn ~4.5 GB isos to DVD+R media [...]
> > wodim dev=/dev/hdc dvd.iso
> > wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
>
> To my own experience, wodim is able to burn DVD only if option
> -sao is in effect. I.e. try
>   wodim dev=/dev/hdc -sao dvd.iso

Makes no difference.

> > Errno: 0 (Success), reserve track scsi sendcmd: no error
> > CDB:  53 00 00 00 00 00 23 69 BA 00
> > Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x00 (logical block address out of range) Fru 0x0
>
> With the failing command, the size is 002369BA. That's
> decimal 2255290. About 4405 MiB. That should fit on a DVD+R.
>
> It might be your drive takes offense on the last digit "A".
> MMC-5, 4.3.6.2.3, says about the DVD+R media model:
>   "b) If the Host chooses to issue the RESERVE TRACK command, then
>       a size shall be selected. The size is rounded up to an ECC block
>       boundary.
>   "
> (Rounded up by whom ?)
> ECC blocks are of 32 KiB size. So the Reservation Size
> given with command 53h RESERVE TRACK might better be
> divisible by 16 (decimal). I.e. the last hex digit should be 0.
>
> In that case you might have better luck if you pad up your
> dvd.iso by 6 * 2048 bytes
>   dd if=/dev/zero bs=2048 count=6 >>dvd.iso
> and then try writing again.

Again, makes no difference, except that the error has
CDB:  53 00 00 00 00 00 23 69 C0 00

> If wodim still does not work, then you should test your
> drive with other DVD burn software. E.g.
>   growisofs /dev/hdc=dvd.iso

Claims that the amount to be written is larger than the available
space on the disk. WTF?

=====
# growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=dvd.iso
Executing 'builtin_dd if=dvd.iso of=/dev/hdc obs=32k seek=0'
:-( /dev/hdc: 2295104 blocks are free, 2320832 to be written!
=====

>   cdrskin -v dev=/dev/hdc dvd.iso
> (cdrskin version >= 0.3.6)

And of course, my local Debian mirror is down at the moment, so
this'll have to wait until tomorrow.

> With growisofs you may circumvent the RESERVE TRACK command by
>   dd bs=32768 if=dvd.iso | growisofs /dev/hdc=/dev/fd/0

Again, made no difference, just claimed that the write failed too.

This is most annoying. I have never had a single problem with burning
isos under Linux before. (in fact, it almost burns them too well) I
may have to swap the drive to my Winbox and burn them over there.

> Have a nice day :)

I'll try =)

Thanks,

--