[Debburn-devel] Philips DVD player 642K subtitles support

Eduardo Freitag David eduardofreitag at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 15:57:15 UTC 2007

Hi!
I have a Philips 642K DVD Player, and when I burn AVIs and subtitles
with K3b (using mkisofs/genisoimage), the subtitles appear as question
marks when I try to select them (meaning that the player is not
recognizing). So far I managed to burn these CDs without joliet
extension (ie pure ISO9660) and it works fine.

But now I need to burn files with longer filenames (so that windows will
also show them nicely). After some googling, I found this page
http://arost.redirectme.net/sw/mkisofs/ (offline) so I found a cache:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:MrrFtHUvfy8J:arost.redirectme.net/sw/mkisofs/+site:arost.redirectme.net&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

It explains why this happens: I seems that this player has a broken
interpretation of Joilet extensions, and it requires that every file
have a version number attached to it in order to read. I know this is a
Philips issue, but the guy (arost?) who created the page claims there's
a patch to fix this (insert a version number in every joliet filename).

Well, the page is old (~2004) and the patch is long gone. Can anyone
help me on this? either pointing to a new version or software that make
this (I'm no expert in Joilet/ISO9660), preferable if it works with K3b.

By the way, I'm using Debian Sid, and everything is updated.
Genisoimage: genisoimage 1.1.6 (Linux)
Mkisofs: pointing to genisoimage
K3b: Version 1.0.3-2
Kernel: 2.6.22-2-k7