[Debburn-devel] iso9660 allow 8 level directory nesting, genisofs allow only 6?

Peter Samuelson peter at p12n.org
Sat Sep 1 18:49:51 UTC 2007

[Zhang Weiwu]
> genisoimage: Directories too deep for './Data/profile/Mail/Local
> Folders/Sent.sbd/2006.sbd/RealSS.sbd' (7) max is 6; ignored -
> continuing.

The error message is confusing because the issue is confusing.
ISO-9660 allows 8 levels, as you've heard.  But that is counting the
root directory ("./" in the example above) as a level, and I think it
is also counting the files inside the innermost directory ("RealSS.sbd"
in the example above).  So you get 8 levels, but that means that inside
the root directory you get only 6 levels of nested directories, and the
6th one can have files in it.

I'll look into this further, but I believe that's why the source code
specifies 6 levels rather than 8.  Either way, I understand that the
error message is confusing because "everyone knows" the correct number
is 8.  Thanks for the report.  You are right, something needs to be
clarified here.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/