[Debburn-devel] Potentially serious bug in mkisofs

BRIAN SWANEY swaney.29 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 8 20:14:40 UTC 2007

I am using Ubuntu 7.04, and am not sure how to check the version, but the program failed to check the available hard drive space. As a result, and of my failing to remember that I had a whole bunch of other ISO files, it crashed my computer. I was able to recover everything, but I am pretty sure this can be a problem for others.

I don't know how the specifics of space checking work, but I imagine you could scan the files to check their space usage and thus estimate the space usage and warn the user before trying to write an ISO. My parameters were as follows:

mkisofs -iso-level 4 -V FreeDisk -o FreeDisk.iso /home/brian/FreeDisk.iso_Files

in my home folder directory.

-Brian Swaney

If you respond to this e-mail, PLEASE make sure you reply to Lavagolemking at aol.com or use the reply-to field. This address uses whitelist filters, due to excessive spam and a very limited quota. Sending e-mail from an unlisted address will result in returned mail for "unacceptable content".