[Debburn-devel] K3b doesn't want to burn the disk....

Sebastian Kemper sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Thu Feb 21 11:43:04 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:12:15PM +0200, Karel Vorster wrote:
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise
> RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
> setpriority().
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.

Hi!

You can get rid of the warning above by setting the wodim binary SUID
root. I don't know what group your distribution uses to distinguish if a
user has the right to burn or not, let's just say it's the cdrom group
(usually it's the same group the burner belongs to, so check /dev/hdc).

chown root:cdrom /usr/bin/wodim
chmod 4710 /usr/bin/wodim

> Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively (Device or resource busy)...
> retrying in 1 second.
> /usr/bin/cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hdc'. Cannot
> open SCSI driver.

That's the real problem. Seems like something is hogging your device. My
first guess would be HAL but you never know. Try to find out what
process it is:

ps aux | grep hdc

Stop the process and try again.

Good luck!