No subject

Wed Jul 30 17:08:51 UTC 2008

together.
I have Verbatim and Ritek 4x DVD-RW which work with a new
burner for about a month. Then the _burner_ loses the ability
to write them in a readable way.
I got 2x Verbatim which work fine in 3 of 4 burners.

So it is hard to say how long the media live.
The 2x Verbatims live since 2004.

> but I will extend your libburn to add packet writing,

It would suffice to provide me with use cases and
testing. I would gladly do the programming work.

There are two entangled terms "packet writing".

One is the family of sequential packet write modes which
may be chosen by MMC mode page 05h. Among them is TAO
(i.e.  one single variable size packet per track) and
fixed length packet write which seems to be interesting
for finely granulated sequential writing on CD-R.
On DVD-R[W] the Incremental writing mode is a fixed
length packet write mode. It appears much like TAO though.
DVD+R writes fixed length packets in any case.

The other "packet writing" is mentioned in popular
texts about UDF. It clearly refers to (pseudo-)random
access on formatted re-usable media: MRW (Mt. Rainier CD-RW),
DVD-RAM, DVD+RW, formatted DVD-RW, BD-RE.

libburn currently lacks of support for:
- fixed length packet mode on CD-R[W],
- blanking and re-using single tracks on multi-track media
- MRW formatted CD-RW
- BD-R
None of them is obscure in respect to specs. I rather
have no use case resp. test opportunities for them.
Different is the situation with advanced CD layouts
like CD-XA, Video-CD, etc. Their specs are proprietary.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas