[Debburn-devel] wodim does not show my SATA and my USB drive

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Jun 15 11:53:09 UTC 2008

Hi,

the problem with the invisibility of SATA and USB
with wodim --devices turned out to be due to the
lack of /dev/scd* device files on my SuSE 10.2 .

Function usalo_open() in libusal/scsi-linux-sg.c
does not try any /dev/sr* address but only hd*,
scd* and (not on Linux 2.6) sg*.

On SuSE 10.2 /dev gets set up at boot time by udev.
So even if the user creates softlinks from /dev/scd*
to /dev/sr* they are gone again after the next reboot.
One would have to dive into /etc/udev/rules.d
or /etc/init.d in order to fix this permanently.

It seems worth a thought whether wodim should
better use /dev/sr* addresses for bus scanning.

Are there any sightings of systems with /dev/scd*
but no /dev/sr* ?
I found unconfirmed rumors in the web that sr was
deprecated (by whom is unclear). There are many
confirmed reports of trouble with missing scd.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas