[Debburn-devel] dvd+rw-format, DVD-RW media, wodim errors, unusable disk.

Leif W warp-9.9 at usa.net
Mon Jun 16 12:47:37 UTC 2008

> Hi,
>
> > something posessed me to run dvd+rw-format
> > Now the tools wodim & growisofs fail all write operations with errors,
>
> It is normal that wodim or cdrecord do not handle
> formatted DVD-RW.
> It is not so normal that growisofs cannot write
> to them. But it is regrettably quite normal that
> DVD-RW in general fail to work properly.

It had worked fine with growisofs before I went mucking with dvd+rw-format.
:-D

> Did you try to deformat it by this command ?
>
>   dvd+rw-format -blank=full /dev/...
>
> (It runs as long as a full write.)

I thought I mentioned, but maybe forgot.  I ran all combinations of
dvd+rw-format options (no options, --blank, --format, both together, with and
without =full), probably some of which made no sense or bad ideas.

sh-3.1# dvd+rw-format -blank=full /dev/scd0
* BD/DVD±RW/-RAM format utility by <appro at fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.0.
* 4.7GB DVD-RW media in Sequential mode detected.
* blanking .:-[ READ TRACK INFORMATION failed with SK=3h/ASC=57h/ACQ=00h]:
Input/output error

> dvd+rw-format -blank will make it sequential again.

In theory... :-)  Seems to think it is in sequential mode, but all apps are
balking about this read track info error.  In some fubar state.

> The poor drive-media compatibility of DVD-RW has
> annoyed me with four burner devices meanwhile.
> When the burners are young, then they can handle
> 4x DVD-RW. But after a few months they
> go partly blind and only do old 2x DVD-RW.
> Burners from LG, NEC, Philips, Samsung.

I've got a Lite-ON LH-20A1L, about a year old, barely used for burning, and
an
older Plextor PX-712A, heavily used but seemingly functional.

> I really do prefer DVD+RW for any non-development
> purpose.

I've already bought a TDK DVD+RW 4x/4.7GB 10-pack and plan to give half to my
brother to replace the two DVD-RWs I broke.  ;-)

> -----------
>
> > > Are there any sightings of systems with /dev/scd*
> > > but no /dev/sr* ?
> > I'm using Knoppix v5.3.1, and there are /dev/scd* block device nodes, but
> > /dev/sr* are soft links to the real block device nodes.
>
> I rather expected true sr and linked scd.
> But your system would nevertheless stand a switch
> from scd to sr.

Upon further inspection, I have block nodes with major 11 and minor 0-15 for
BOTH scd and sr, but some script somewhere likes to put in a soft link from
sr
to scd when I connect a drive.  So I guess my question is, which major/minors
do sr and scd use on other systems?  Does accessing by either name affect
anything in my case?

Just as soon as I have time to learn and actually do it, I'll be rebuilding a
new Knoppix image.  I want to have a 64-bit binary version anyways so I can
use the additional 5GB of RAM 32-bit can't see and actually load the DVD
there
and free the drive, so I may as well correct any other annoyances.

Leif