[Debburn-devel] dvd+rw-format, DVD-RW media, wodim errors, unusable disk.

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Jun 16 13:46:38 UTC 2008

Hi,

Leif wrote:
> * blanking .:-[ READ TRACK INFORMATION failed with SK=3h/ASC=57h/ACQ=00h]:

According to the list of MMC errors:
  3 57 00 UNABLE TO RECOVER TABLE-OF-CONTENTS

Looks like something is dead now. Let me hope
it's only the media and not the drive.

If it is a software error, then about the unlucky
combination of a formatted but non-written DVD-RW
and wodim which was not aware of that delicate
state.
If you ever want to retry that stunt, then i would
propose you do not use cdrecord or wodim for writing
to the formatted media.

> I've already bought a TDK DVD+RW 4x/4.7GB 10-pack
> and plan to give half to my brother to replace the
> two DVD-RWs I broke.  ;-)

Just for curiosity: how did you use them before ?
Write and blank by wodim ?

-------------

Leif wrote:
>  So I guess my question is, which major/minors
> do sr and scd use on other systems?

No. It's just about The Official names.
/dev/srN and /dev/scdN are supposed to point to
the same major,minor device number.

On Linux we need them for opening a file descriptor
which we can use for a ioctl() call that transports
our SCSI commands to the drive.
When we are searching for drives, we need to predict
paths in the filesystem which we can try by open(2).

wodim's prediction is /dev/scd[0-255],
libburn's prediction is /dev/sr[0-31],
cdrecord obviously predicts /dev/sg[0-?].
(We all try /dev/hd[a-z] too.)

sg device files have a different device number
than sr/scd. They provide raw access to any
pseudo-SCSI device. But any sr/scd is surely a
CD-ROM device and LKML advises it as the right
device driver for burning.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas