[Debburn-devel] Need help with cdrkit

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Sep 8 20:33:10 UTC 2008

Hi,

> The problem is that cdrecord (and wodim too) with any command (cdrecord
> -scanbus) hungs up the system
>
> $ wodim blank=all /dev/hdc
> Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
> Detected CD-R drive: /dev/hdc

You are using the target drive as source of the
data stream.

It should be

  wodim blank=all dev=/dev/hdc TRACK_SOUCRE

where TRACK_SOURCE is either a file address with
the data you want to burn or "-" for standard input.
The latter would need some other process which creates
the image on the fly:

  genisoimage ... | wodim ... -

> is there way to configure my system to work without
> recompiling cdrecord using hdparm, etc.? Or I must
> replace my device?

None of these seem necessary for now.

Despite the various warnings and complaints, the drive
was found and responded on some capability tests:

> Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R

With cdrkit on CD-R[W] you have to get familiar
with genisoimage or audio converters for the content
preparation, and with wodim for the media burning.

As an alternative for data (not audio CD) i could offer
my own software xorriso which combines data formatting
and media burning in a single program.

But possibly you will rather be interested in GUI programs:
K3b, Nautilus CD burner, xfburn, ...
They usually hide the dirty details of our burn engines :))

Have a nice day :)

Thomas