[Debburn-devel] Repeatable images

Steve McIntyre steve at einval.com
Mon Feb 9 22:32:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 02:12:05PM -0800, G. D. Chase wrote:

>It would be nice (at least I think so) for the disc images to be repeatable.  Currently they are not.  See below for what I mean.
>
>$ genisoimage --version
>genisoimage 1.1.2 (Linux)
>$ mkdir mydir
>$ echo filecontents > mydir/myfile
>$ genisoimage mydir > firstimage
>$ genisoimage mydir > secondimage
>$ diff --brief --report-identical-files firstimage secondimage
>Files firstimage and secondimage differ

What exactly changes from one the next, then? I'd only expect things
like timestamps in the ISO header, and we have patches submitted to
allow you to specify those on the command line. If that's all, then we
can easily give you consistent images. :-)

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve at einval.com
"I can't ever sleep on planes ... call it irrational if you like, but I'm