[Debburn-devel] Mysterious multisession failure

Barry Kauler bkauler at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 02:34:41 UTC 2009

On 7/16/09, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>> genisoimage: Error: '(null)' and '/..' have the same ISO9660 name ''.
> '(null)' does not look intentional.
>> I have '-D' as some of our sessions may be too deep.
> Try both, base session and add-on session
> without -D. Maybe it works.
> Deep directory relocation is necessary to
> achieve strict compliance with ISO 9660 specs.
> But i am not aware that Linux mount would depend
> on the tree depth limitation. So it should be
> safe without -D.
> I am not a developer of genisoimage but rather
> of xorriso, an ISO 9660 multi-session tool
> which does not stem from mkisofs. For now i
> leave out directory relocation because it is
> known to be a source of trouble on the reader
> side. I have tested similar use cases as
> yours in xorriso a few months ago.
> Have a nice day :)
> Thomas

Thanks for the response. I searched back in my blog for the reason why
I introduced the '-D' option, and found it here (search for "deep

We had a problem with sessions not getting saved, so we had to introduce '-D'.

That thing about 8 levels... doesn't mkisofs (genisoimage) have an
option '-iso-level 4' that can get around that problem? -- I haven't
tried that but it looks like it might do the trick.

Barry Kauler