[Debburn-devel] Bug: Can't put files bigger than 4GiB on disk

Sven-Hendrik Haase sh at lutzhaase.com
Thu Oct 22 12:03:50 UTC 2009

On 22.10.2009 12:33, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> it appears there is a bug in the current cdrkit version that doesn't
>> allow me to put files bigger than 4GiB on a disk. I tried calling
>> mkisofs with
>>
>> -udf -allow-limited-size -iso-level 3
>>
>> Sadly, no success there, the files on disk remain unreadable. Am I doing
>> anything wrong here or is it actually a bug?
>>

> Not knowing about genisoimage with large files
> and especially not about -allow-limited-size,
> i have to stress that in the past at least Linux
> was not able to read files >= 4 GiB in ISO images
> properly.
> (Such files have to be split into several
>  pieces, called "extents", and the reading system
>  has to put them together.)
>
> Recent Linux kernels are said to work better.
> Mine is of summer 2007 and cannot read some bytes
> from the end of multi-extent files in images
> created by libisofs. But users of recent Ubuntu
> report that there are no problems any more.
>

> man genisoimage says:
>
> -allow-limited-size
>    The result is an inconsistent filesystem and users need
>    to make sure that they really use UDF rather than ISO9660 driver
>    to read a such disk.
>
> This sounds slightly frightening.
> Maybe you should try without.
>
> If you are using Linux for reading:
> Did you enforce mounting of UDF by mount -t udf ?
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

Actually it appears you guys are right. I just did some testing using a
10GiB file and I ran into no issues at all. The issue I reported was
with a squashfs on an iso actually, so I tested 10GiB squashfs on iso
and that was just fine as well. This magic might be explained by kernel
2.6.31 which came with some fixes that might concern this bug I
experienced. I think for now we can consider this closed, sorry for the
"false alarm".

If I'm to run into this again, I'll revive this thread.

-- Sven-Hendrik