[Debburn-devel] bug in genisoimage 1.1.9: leading space in -graft-points file names

Matthias Ansorg matthias at ansorgs.de
Thu Oct 8 13:53:55 UTC 2009

Peter,

thanks for your reply. I investigated more (see below) and found out that it
is no genisoimage bug at all. Sorry for disturbing you.

> > I encountered the following bug using genisoimage 1.1.9 (Linux):
> >
> > The following command leads to file names in the ISO image starting with
> > two spaces, though the spaces in this bash command are unescaped and
> > unquoted and should therefore be only for indentation of the continued
> > lines:
> >
> > genisoimage -r -J -o DVD.iso -graft-points \
> >   Documents=/somedir/Documents \
> >   Music=/somedir/Music
>
> If the spaces are actually sent to genisoimage at all, it sounds like a
> bug in your shell.  What shell is it?  You say it is a Linux system,
> but there are a lot of login shells for Linux, and maybe one of them
> behaves like this.

> I can't reproduce your bug here, with bash 3.2 on Debian stable.

This is bash 3.2.48 on Ubuntu 9.04, but it was not the cause.

The problem was actually that I used an app to copy the commands into xterm or
konsole, and this app copied a UTF-8 encoded non-breaking space character (XML
entity equivalent:  ) instead of the space.

Therefore, a command like

  genisoimage -r -J -o image.iso -graft-points   dir=sourcedir

actually had the byte sequence 0xC2 0xA0 0xC2 0xA0 instead of the two intended
spaces before "dir". This byte sequence made it into the filename and appeared
optically like two spaces.

So, kudos to genisoimage for perfect handling of UTF-8 filenames :-)

Matthias