[Debburn-devel] LG CH08LS10 not burning CDs

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Jan 3 14:37:22 UTC 2010

Hi,

> http://www.diskdepot.co.uk/acatalog/dvd-rw-dl-logo.gif

"DVD+R DL" means DVD+R Double Layer (8 GB).

... sifting through my pile of example media ...
Yep. My DVD+R have the "RW" and "DVD+R" without
DL.

So what you have there is a DVD+R to which you
could add one more GB of data, by help of
growisofs, cdrskin or xorriso.

The drive is not that clearly mad as it seemed.

The failure with the second run of k3B on the
DVD+R is due to its inappropriate use of
growisofs:
  /usr/bin/growisofs -Z
Option -Z is only for writing the first track of
a media.  That first track is already written.
So the failure
  :-[ WRITE at LBA=100h failed with SK=5h/INVALID ADDRESS FOR WRITE]: Invalid argument
is as ok as the failure of wodim to blank the
media.

Well, that new track would not have fit anyway:
 -use-the-force-luke=tracksize:1585120
means that it was again 3 GB.

> is there anything left to do other
> than trying this drive in another computer?

I am out of other ideas.

We have few clue what is actually wrong with it
except that it refuses on CD and is very slow
with DVD.
Whether both unusual effects are related is not
yet clear.

> If you are in/near Munich, you are more than welcome
> to poke at it, though.

I'm half a germany away at the Rhine.

A few weeks ago i really had a mad drive here:
Pioneer DVR-216D got stuck if one inquired its
buffer fill level before it had begun to write.
It was in a SATA-to-USB+eSATA box.
Such a thing makes it quite easy to test a drive
at several computers.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas