[Debburn-devel] LG CH08LS10 not burning CDs

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sat Jan 30 13:13:41 UTC 2010

Hi,

Age Jan Kuperus wrote:
> I looked for processes that tried to access sr0 and
> found several
> children of udevd (they seem to be run in sequence):
> /lib/udev/devkit-disks-part-id /dev/sr0
> /sbin/blkid -o udev -p -u noraid /dev/sr0
> /lib/udev/cdrom_id --export /dev/sr0

I don't know about devkit-disks-part-id and
cdrom_id but libblkid is a known reader of block
devices.
Nevertheless, this should not constantly try to
read from the drive. At most for a short while
after a media was inserted.

So if it can slow down a complete DVD run, then
this is not the normal behavior.
One should try to get advise from the distro
community.

(Ted T'so, Eduard Bloch and me once tried to get
 libblkid, wodim and libburn into better
 co-existence. This ended with the result that
 none of the available locking mechanisms was
 sufficient in all cases.)

> Hope this helps (and somebdy can fix it).

The offending processes should at least restrict
themselves to a short examination. In that case
the user can load the tray manually, wait a while
and only then start the burn run.

The responsible programmers would be those who
set up the udev stuff in the distro. Maybe they
have to forward the problem upstream then.

(Again, i would participate in a technical
 discussion.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas