[Debburn-devel] wodim initiates the burning process of SATA burners late, currupt and/or burns to PATA burners.

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri May 14 06:45:15 UTC 2010

Hi,

> > And it still looks as if it is at odds with the
> > operating system.
> Gentoo?...Ok, I'll try in Ubuntu.

If ever, then it is rather the kernel version,
not so much the distro. (I doubt that distro
producers fiddle with Linux SG_IO.)

It is a strange coincidence that the command
fails after about 1/1000 of the time that is
announced as timeout. The difference between
0.2 and 0.222 can be well due to granularity
of the i/o transaction.
What really makes me wonder is the fact that
we all use SG_IO on Linux, and thus should all
be hit by such a problem.

> > Did you try cdrskin meanwhile ?
> xfburn uses cdrskin.

No. xfburn uses libburn, which is also the core
component of cdrskin.
cdrskin wraps libburn in a command line interface
that is compatible to cdrecord resp. wodim.
Thus it is ready for being used as "cdrecord"
in many cases.

> >  # cp /usr/local/bin/cdrskin /usr/bin/cdrecord
>  Yeah, I did try that and it did work with k3b, but are the commandline
> options of the 2 identical?

They have a large intersection. About all options
for data recording are supported. Audio too.
But there are exotic CD formats like CD-XA or
Video-CD of which the specs are not public.

cdrskin has additional options, especially for
DVD and Blu-Ray media.
(I hope the cdrkit team does not mind if i state
 that cdrecord and its clones are much inferior
 to dvd+rw-tools by Andy Polykov and to libburn,
 when it comes to non-CD media.)

> > At least the command
> >  /usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/sr1 speed=4 -sao
> >  driveropts=burnfree -data -tsize=2224193s -
> > should work.
< Ok, so we're not sure. :(

I copied the command from your k3b log. All its
options are supported by cdrskin.
So since you can talk k3b into using cdrskin, you
seem to have a workaround for this use case.

The open question is which other use cases k3b
does offer to you. A popular use case that is
not supported would be CD audio with CD-Text
annotations.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas