[Debburn-devel] wodim -tao and wodim -msinfo doesn't work on a DVD

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Mar 31 13:29:38 UTC 2011

Hi,

> Does -sao and -multi work together on cdrecord?

One cannot combine -sao (= DVD-R DAO) with keeping the media appendable.
DAO means Disc At Once. No second session.

But DVD-R has another write mode, "Incremental", which is much like
CD TAO and which allows to keep media appendable.

I remember that cdrecord announced the capability to use this mode
on DVD-R[W]. But that was already after i started working on libburn.
So i never tried whether and how it works.

> At least cdrecord was available to give me the correct values even on
> -sao.

For a try i would leave out options -sao , -tao, and hope that
option -multi will tell it to use Incremental write type.

But, honestly, i would not use cdrecord on DVD or BD media.
Although with sequential DVD-RW it could be quite up to date
because their specs resemble much the specs of CD-RW.

Important:

In order to make a used DVD-RW ready for multi-session, you have
to blank it fully, not fast. Fast blanked DVD-RW do only DAO.

Full blanking lasts as long as full writing.
More convenient are formatted DVD-RW which need no blanking.
But for ISO 9660 multi-session on those you need growisofs, cdrskin
or xorriso. (See e.g. man cdrskin, options blank=format_overwrite and
--grow_overwriteable_iso .)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas