[Debburn-devel] mkisofs makes all DVD ISOs with one size

Dale R. Worley worley at alum.mit.edu
Fri May 23 20:28:31 UTC 2014

I'm hoping that this query/problem has a simple explanation, and
someone here knows what it is.

I'm trying to assemble a DVD image.  It seems that "mkisofs
--dvd-video -udf" always generates an ISO image of 4.7 GB, regardless
of how little information is in the input directory.  Unfortunately,
this size is about 10% larger than the DVD-Rs that I buy, which means
that I can't burn them to DVD-Rs.

Is there a reason that mkisofs does this?  It seems unlikely that this
is a constraint of the DVD format.  And as I said, it's independent of
the size of the files I'm incorporating.  Is it driven by the menu
information in the DVD files?  Or is this just hard-coded into mkisofs
for some reason?

Thans for any information,

Dale