[Debconf-devel] debconf override disparity

Colin Watson cjwatson at debian.org
Thu Mar 15 12:11:00 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 06:51:56PM +0100, Christian PERRIER wrote:
> Quoting Debian FTP Masters (ftpmaster at ftp-master.debian.org):
> > There are disparities between your recently accepted upload and the
> > override file for the following file(s):
> >
> > debconf-i18n_1.5.42_all.deb: package says priority is important, override says required.
> > debconf_1.5.42_all.deb: package says priority is important, override says required.
>
> Shouldn't this be adjusted in the package?

IIRC, last time I asked about this (some years ago, admittedly), Joey
didn't think debconf ought to be Priority: required based on the
definitions in policy, and so wasn't keen on changing it in the package.
However, there exist Priority: required packages that depend on debconf
[1], so transitive closure of priorities forces it into required.  This
leaves us at something of a stalemate.

[1]
  $ grep-aptavail -nsPackage -XFPriority required -a -wFDepends debconf | xargs
  libpam-runtime libpam0g sysv-rc tzdata util-linux

--
Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson at debian.org]