[debhelper-devel] "Rules-Requires-Root: no" vs ExtUtils::Install + dh_strip_nondeterminism

Mattia Rizzolo mattia at debian.org
Sun Oct 29 15:09:05 UTC 2017

On Sun, Oct 29, 2017 at 04:02:20PM +0100, Axel Beckert wrote:
> > Yes.  I tried the same package you brought as an example,
> > systray-mdstat, which has png files that gets modified.
>
> Huh? Maybe there has been a misunderstanding, but it didn't do that
> for me:
>
> Neither dh_strip_nondeterminism emitted anything during a fakerooted
> build (which it AFAIK should if it changes anything), nor did
> "strip-nondeterminism share/*" cause "git status" to show any changes
> in the files afterwards.

Are you running with DH_VERBOSE=1?  Because here I clearly get that by
trying to build systray-mdstat as currently in unstable:

   dh_strip_nondeterminism
	Using 1504826979 as canonical time
	Normalizing debian/systray-mdstat/usr/share/perl5/auto/share/dist/systray-mdstat/harddrivespare.png using File::StripNondeterminism::handlers::png
	Normalizing debian/systray-mdstat/usr/share/perl5/auto/share/dist/systray-mdstat/harddrivefail.png using File::StripNondeterminism::handlers::png
	Normalizing debian/systray-mdstat/usr/share/perl5/auto/share/dist/systray-mdstat/harddriveok.png using File::StripNondeterminism::handlers::png
	Normalizing debian/systray-mdstat/usr/share/perl5/auto/share/dist/systray-mdstat/error.png using File::StripNondeterminism::handlers::png
	Normalizing debian/systray-mdstat/usr/share/perl5/auto/share/dist/systray-mdstat/harddrivewarn.png using File::StripNondeterminism::handlers::png

> In contrary to that, running "strip-nondeterminism -t png
> t/fixtures/png/tEXt.png.in" in strip-nd's git repo clearly shows such
> a change:
>
> → git status --short
> → strip-nondeterminism -t png t/fixtures/png/tEXt.png.in
> → git status --short
>  M t/fixtures/png/tEXt.png.in
>>
> But for systray-mdstat:
>
> → git status --short
> → strip-nondeterminism -t png share/*
> → git status --short

For handlers like png's you might need to define a time (i.e. use the -T
option, possibly with --clamp-timestamp)

> > Pending release, shall I cut one right away?
>
> I'd be happy if it would only take days (and not weeks) to get this
> fix into unstable. But that's just my wish. :-)

Ok, I'll see about it ;)

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo