[Debian-astro-maintainers] astropy-iers-data_0.2023.10.23.00.29.54-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Thorsten Alteholz debian at alteholz.de
Sat Nov 4 09:17:47 GMT 2023

Hi Ole,

On 29.10.23 21:09, Ole Streicher wrote:

> The package is a separation from the core Astropy package, i.e. in the
> past it was updated only with Astropy updates. This was considered too
> rare, which lead to the separation. The current upstream update cycle
> is weekly; but this is not really required to work for the package.
> Having this updated for stable just before the freeze, and then (via
> backports, or, if the changes are considered "important", even by
> filing an appropriate Debian bug and fixing this by updating the
> package) only if really needed, is most probably sufficient.

are you aware of "astropy.utils.iers.conf.auto_max_age" which defaults
to 30 days?  After this period, there will be a warning that the IERS
data are to old and need to be updated. I didn't check everything but
this warning might raise an exception later on. Actually to avoid this
warning, there is some auto update mechanism that downloads new data
periodically. So in order to work, parts of astropy depend on external
data, which is the definition of "contrib".

> Why would you consider the package as "contrib"?

Given that the data inside astropy-iers-data are not really useful, the
only remaining part of this package is update_data.sh. But the only
purpose of this script is to download external data, which makes the
package belonging to contrib.

   Thorsten