[Debian-eeepc-devel] Kernel panic when installing on 4G with 2GB RAM

Kasper Loopstra kasper.loopstra at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 19:44:38 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

When trying to install Debian on my EeePC following the instructions
provided here:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install?highlight=%28DebianEeePC/HowTo%29
using the image linked on that page, I ran into a kernel panic. My EeePC
is a 4G with 2GB RAM instead of the factory 512MB. It was installed in
the shop I bought it from. I checked the md5sum of the image I
downloaded, that looked fine. I'm installing from a 1GB 'TravelMate' USB
stick. I tried installing with debug options, the following error
message is the most complete one I recieved:

PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at e0000000 is not E820-reserved
PCI: Not using MMCONFIG
RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 32768) 83886808
crc error
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(9,0)

Thanks for any help you could give me, and thanks for all the work on
the EeePC installer so far.

Kasper Loopstra