[Debian-eeepc-devel] Free space on SSD after fresh install - and using SDHC card for /home and swap?

elijah r. elijahr at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 19:53:22 UTC 2008

Hi Miklos,

I have my /home partition on a 2gb SD card.  I don't have a swap partition.

I had originally installed /home to the SSD, but decided to move it later.
This wasn't very tricky, I just booted into single-user mode and:

partitioned and formatted the SD card
mounted the partition and copied /home/* over
set up the mount point in /etc/fstab
renamed the original /home dir to /home.old
rebooted.

You will want to use something a little nicer than plain old 'cp' to
copy /home/* though, because it won't preserve all your file
attributes.  Look into cpio or check this out:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-general-1/partition-free-space-move-home-to-the-new-partition-126198/

Once I was confident everything had transferred over correctly, I
deleted /home.old to free up the space.

However, I don't recommend you do this if you use suspend
functionality, I tried that a few times and would have filesystem
errors when I resumed.

I don't remember how much space I had left after the initial
installation, but after I installed all my apps and configured
everything, I had about 100M left on the SSD / partition.

You might want to try flushing out your apt cache to free up space.

Cheers,
Elijah

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Miklos Tomka <miklos_tomka at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  I have just done a fresh install on my eeePC,
>  following this instructions form the Wiki.
>
>  My SSD has about 800M free after the install was
>  completed (default system was installed).
>
>  How much space would you all have remaining? Is there
>  any way to free up a bit more?
>
>  I tried to use an SDHC card for SWAP and /home, but
>  the installer did not allow it (it actually locked up
>  when partitioning the SD card). Is it possible to use
>  the SD card for SWAP and /home?
>
>  How?
>
>  Thanks for any advice,
>
>  Miklos