[Debian-eeepc-devel] Brltty and the custom installer for the Eee

Glenn Saberton gsaberton at foomagic.org
Sun Dec 7 03:41:44 UTC 2008

Robin Kipp wrote:
> Hello list,
> A few months ago, I got an Asus Eee 900. This laptop comes pre-installed
> with Windows XP, which I really didn't want on there... :-) So, I wanted
> to install Debian Linux on it and was pleased to see that there's a
> version of Debian especially made for the Eee... I looked around on the
> wiki page and saw that there's actually no brltty (Braille terminal)
> included in the installer, which would allow me to use my Braille
> display that I'd have to use because I am completely blind. I tried the
> standard installer along with the installation / configuration stepps
> described on the wiki page, but I find this approach to be all but
> optimal, plus it doesn't recognise a whole lot of stuff. So I wanted to
> ask, is it possible for you developers to include brltty in the custom
> installer? Right now, the whole community of blind Eee users (which is
> quite big) can't use Linux, because no distribution that works with the
> Eee offers an accessible installation method. Couldn't Debian make a
> difference?
> Robin

Hi Robin,
	Without looking too far into it, I have made an image that includes
brltty-udeb. If you can give it a test run and report back how it goes,
we can go from there. No need to do a full install, just going through
the first menu or two will be sufficient to see if it works. As long as
you don't run the partitioner then nothing will get written to disk, so
you can play with any of the menus up to that point. If it fails to
work, I'll have to look a bit deeper into how brltty integrates into the
cd images. If you can help with testing in this regard until we get it
right, that would be great. Image can be found at
http://eeepc.debian.net/debian/images/brltty/debian-eeepc.img

Cheers

Glenn