[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debian lenny on ASUS Eee PC 1000H

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Fri Dec 26 21:40:14 UTC 2008

Hi there!

Please Cc: me, I am not subscribed to the list, TIA.

As reported at bug #509765 [1], I installed lenny on a 1000H, with no
problem at all WRT the Debian part (i.e. GDM nicely showed up at the
reboot), but only with the first NTFS partition (resizing seemed to work
OK, but now Windows XP cannot boot anymore).

The following are my quick tests on the default installation, i.e.
without the tricks on the Debian wiki.

1) /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts

   a. VOLUME_LABEL needs to be changed to 'Master' or 'PCM' (there is no
      'LineOut' control)

   b. HEADPHONE_LABEL must be changed as well, in this case to
      'Headphone' (there is no 'iSpeaker' control).

      OTOH, as far as I read both variables above they seem to be
      similar, which is a bit misleading, since the headphone is only a
      switch.  And their meaning is not really clear...

   c. There are no OSD notifications for brightness changes.

   d. OSD works when aosd-cat is installed, but in general I would
      prefer the basic functions (brightness and sound) directly
      supported by GNOME (or KDE or $WHATEVER).

      I tested Tomaz Solc's patch [2], taking /usr/bin/acpi_fakekey and
      /usr/share/acpi-support/key-constants from acpi-suppor: they work
      as expected, thanks Tomaz!  I am not sure I will have the time to
      adapt them to the brightness keys, but IMHO we should.

   e. Some softkeys on the 1000H model are different from the
      "standard" ones [3]:

        F3  -> empty
        F4  -> empty
        F5  -> brightness decrease
        F6  -> brightness increase
        F7  -> blank screen (like SOFTBTN1)
        F8  -> switch screen
        F9  -> task manager
        F10 -> sound mut
        F11 -> sound decrease
        F12 -> sound increase

      However, all softkeys known to work still do it even if the
      associated key has been changed.

   f. The "switch screen" softkey should be adjusted to work as the user
      manual reports, i.e. cycle through

        LCD only -> CRT only -> clone mode -> extended mode

      NB, my intent was not to criticize: a long time ago I started to
      work on a shell script to do exactly that on my ThinkPad X60 [4],
      but I put that work on hold since then because the solution with
      xrandr was less than trivial...

2) wireless

   a. The switch (Fn+F2) works out of the box, but not disabling it
      through the sysfs value

        /sys/module/eeepc_laptop/drivers/platform\:eeepc/eeepc/wlan

   b. The led, however, seems to be always on.  According to the user
      manual, it should be on only when the wireless is activated.  I
      guess this is because of the RT2860 driver.

   c. As explained in the Debian Wiki [5], indeed I can connect to two
      WPA/WPA2 APs (both Fonera 2100A) only specifying the TKIP cipher.

3) Webcam, bluetooth and SD card reader work out of the box.  The same
   applies to suspend/hibernate, tested from GNOME.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

Footnotes:
[1] http://bugs.debian.org/509765