[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debian lenny on ASUS Eee PC 1000H

Glenn Saberton gsaberton at foomagic.org
Sat Dec 27 04:44:35 UTC 2008

Luca Capello wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Please Cc: me, I am not subscribed to the list, TIA.
>
> As reported at bug #509765 [1], I installed lenny on a 1000H, with no
> problem at all WRT the Debian part (i.e. GDM nicely showed up at the
> reboot), but only with the first NTFS partition (resizing seemed to work
> OK, but now Windows XP cannot boot anymore).
>
> The following are my quick tests on the default installation, i.e.
> without the tricks on the Debian wiki.
>

> 1) /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts
>
>    a. VOLUME_LABEL needs to be changed to 'Master' or 'PCM' (there is no
>       'LineOut' control)
>
>    b. HEADPHONE_LABEL must be changed as well, in this case to
>       'Headphone' (there is no 'iSpeaker' control).
>
>       OTOH, as far as I read both variables above they seem to be
>       similar, which is a bit misleading, since the headphone is only a
>       switch.  And their meaning is not really clear...
>
>    c. There are no OSD notifications for brightness changes.
>
>    d. OSD works when aosd-cat is installed, but in general I would
>       prefer the basic functions (brightness and sound) directly
>       supported by GNOME (or KDE or $WHATEVER).
>
>       I tested Tomaz Solc's patch [2], taking /usr/bin/acpi_fakekey and
>       /usr/share/acpi-support/key-constants from acpi-suppor: they work
>       as expected, thanks Tomaz!  I am not sure I will have the time to
>       adapt them to the brightness keys, but IMHO we should.
>
>    e. Some softkeys on the 1000H model are different from the
>       "standard" ones [3]:
>
>         F3  -> empty
>         F4  -> empty
>         F5  -> brightness decrease
>         F6  -> brightness increase
>         F7  -> blank screen (like SOFTBTN1)
>         F8  -> switch screen
>         F9  -> task manager
>         F10 -> sound mut
>         F11 -> sound decrease
>         F12 -> sound increase
>
>       However, all softkeys known to work still do it even if the
>       associated key has been changed.
>
>    f. The "switch screen" softkey should be adjusted to work as the user
>       manual reports, i.e. cycle through
>
>         LCD only -> CRT only -> clone mode -> extended mode
>
>       NB, my intent was not to criticize: a long time ago I started to
>       work on a shell script to do exactly that on my ThinkPad X60 [4],
>       but I put that work on hold since then because the solution with
>       xrandr was less than trivial...
>

> 2) wireless
>
>    a. The switch (Fn+F2) works out of the box, but not disabling it
>       through the sysfs value
>
>         /sys/module/eeepc_laptop/drivers/platform\:eeepc/eeepc/wlan
This works here. Are you sure its not working because the LED doesnt change?

>    b. The led, however, seems to be always on.  According to the user
>       manual, it should be on only when the wireless is activated.  I
>       guess this is because of the RT2860 driver.
The LED is also activated with bluetooth on the 901. If either the
bluetooth or wireless is enabled, the LED will be one. As I dont use
bluetooth at the moment, I have it disabled in bios, and the LED works
as on earlier models.