[Debian-eeepc-devel] Newbie experience

Jay Sekora js at aq.org
Thu Mar 6 17:15:24 UTC 2008

Ben Armstrong wrote:

> [...] unless you're doing hibernate (which
> in my opinion is a frill that most people can do without) you don't
> need swap at all.

I'm using Ubuntu rather than Debian[1], and I'm not sure how whether or
how much power consumption during suspend can be affected by software,
so take this with as much salt as needed, but I tried using suspend
for a while, and the machine would regularly run out of juice while
suspended, forcing a full reboot (and often a fsck) when I tried to
resume it.  I ended up having to reformat with a swap partition and
switch to hibernate.  If (big if) power consumption during suspend is
limited by hardware and Ubuntu plus the Eee modules  I'm using get close
to that limit, then I can't do without swap for hibernation.

(I do have vm.swappiness set to 0, so that should be the only thing
swap gets used for.)

Cheers,

Jay

[1] I'm on this list because the folks who wrote the scripts to tweak
Ubuntu for the Eee did so in such a way that ignores dpkg and the
Debian way of building kernel modules, and I'm hoping that at some
point I can get the time to grab some of your work for Ubuntu.