[Debian-eeepc-devel] What kernel driver should we be using for the disk? AHCI?

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Tue Oct 14 00:20:20 UTC 2008

Hi again,

Something that struck me when I first looked at the "5 second boot"
presentation slides was something called "AHCI" in the graphs; I had
never heard of it.  I now discover that it's an interface for SATA
controllers, and clearly Arjan's Eee 901 is using it.  Yet my Debian
kernel wasn't - even before I started messing around with it.
lsmod|grep -i ahci says nothing.  But it does have ahci.ko available.

My suspicion is that we really should be using AHCI, but instead we're
using some inferior backward-compatible interface to the same hardware,
presumably because modules for both exist and nothing is giving
priority to the right one.

Does anyone know anything about this?  Does anyone see ahci in their lsmod?

Phil.