[Debian-eeepc-devel] Using a pre-populated /dev for faster boot

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Fri Oct 17 04:29:27 UTC 2008

-=| Phil Endecott, Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:42:52AM +0100 |=-
> I haven't used this much yet so if anyone can see any flaws please
> let me know.

Not exactly a flaw, but an additional idea:

I think you can safely ommit the settle call in the network
coldplugging part. Also, the initial coldplugging may be split in two
parts - disks and the rest (minus network). The disk part would need
the settling, but the rest wouldn't, perhaps saving some more waiting
time.

Does the modified uudev startup work with the Debian kernels (i.e.
without having to hardwire all the needed modules) even if not that
fast?

> - Setting the clock takes up to a second.  But I don't think it
> would if we didn't have to use --directisa.  So can someone remind
> me why we do that?

Because of a bug in the rtc driver that may well have been fixed.

Hmm, it appears I don't have --directisa in /etc/default/rcS.
I remember hangs during clock setting, but not after the last kernel
upgrade (Debian 2.6.26).

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org