[Debian-eeepc-devel] Current timings for booting fast?

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Fri Oct 17 08:24:10 UTC 2008

Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear Phil,
>
> could you please post your current timings for booting?
>
> Thanks a lot for your work,
>
> Paul

My current boot time is around 14 to 17 seconds, this is without any
custom compilations so only almost all configuration files are changes,
this is still experimental and is hard to maintain, because with almost
every updates settings need to be tweaked again.

I can improve my boot time if I can remove the need for modprobe en long
udev initialization times....

Everytime modprobe is called it checks a big lookup file and dependecies
checks this takes far far to much time. If we can get a new modprobe
system something liked a cached startup daemon we can improve boot time
on all Linux systems.

With the fast boot kernel systems this can be reduced to 5/4 seconds.

PS. recommendation to use the display program of the imagemagick tools
to view the attachment.

Best regards,

Jelle