[Debian-eeepc-devel] 701 battery capacity has wrong dimension?

Patrick Strasser patrick.strasser at tugraz.at
Wed Oct 22 09:57:42 UTC 2008

Hello!

I searched the list and googled about it, but I did not find a pointer.

On my EeePC 701 /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info states:
present:                 yes
design capacity:         5200 mAh
last full capacity:      100 mAh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          8400 mV
design capacity warning: 20 mAh
design capacity low:     10 mAh
capacity granularity 1:  52 mAh
capacity granularity 2:  52 mAh
model number:            701
serial number:
battery type:            LION
OEM info:                ASUS

Seems like last full capacity, design capacity warning, design capacity
warning are rather percentages than mAh, and design capacity, capacity
granularity 1, capacity granularity 2 are really mAh.

I do not have a second laptop to compare with other system, so I wonder
if this is normal. AFAICS the kernel module just reads the ACPI values
and reports them, expecting mAh for all capacity values, whereas the 701
gives values for %. Something's wrong.

As a result gnome-power-statistics complains about a battery that is
alway depleted and never full, which is not very helpful.

Patrick
Patrick Strasser <patrick dot strasser at student dot tugraz dot at>