[Debian-eeepc-devel] swap and hibernation

Jay Sekora js at aq.org
Sat Oct 25 06:30:33 UTC 2008

"David L. Johnson" <david.johnson at Lehigh.EDU> wrote:

> Well, when I try to hibernate, I get a bunch of pciehp error messages
> about not being able to add device 0x...  the error message is quite
> cryptic and is repeated several times.  It stays for a couple minutes.

Yes; I'm not sure what that is, but I get it too (for successful
hibernations).

> When starting it up again it goes through a full boot to a gdm login
> screen.  This is not hibernation; noting is resumed; it's a fresh boot.

I suspect the problem is that something about the USB storage subsystem
doesn't persist across a power-cycle in the stock kernel.  You need a
kernel compiled with a USB persistence option (I think it's
"USB_PERSIST", but I might be wrong) in order for mounted filesystems
or a swap partition on a USB or SD storage device to persist across a
reboot.  Sorry I don't have more detail about where to get a Debian
kernel with USB-persist on; I use Ubuntu-eee which has that on in the
kernel by default.  (Take this with a grain of salt; this is just
something I've picked up from various tutorials about how to make this
work in Ubuntu.)

Jay