[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debian Eeepc-live Version 1.0~b1

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue Apr 14 00:53:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 17:25:14 -0500
John <jpinks at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tested today on my spanish keyboard 701.
> Downloaded, dd'ed to micro SD card and booted  without troubles.
> Impressive that you've got it inside 256MBs.
> Spanish locale/ keyboard layout would be nice?

Should be able to boot with keyb=es locale=es (or the full name of your
locale).  Feel free to add notes to the wiki about this or anything
else non-obvious.  Could be a draft for a little bit of doc to show (as
a local page) in iceweasel upon login.

> Sound is fine.
> Camera use not working - smplayer > Open > URL > tv:// gives me nothing.

Enabled in bios?  Try from command-line:

mplayer tv://

> No messenger/IRC client's included. I recommend aMSN - check the camera config.

Noted.  But amsn only handles one protocol, so I have ruled it out.  I
considered pidgin, but oh, the bloat!  I figured people could use
webchat from somewhere (mibbit?) or else download the client of their
choice (a highly personal thing, I've found).  This is a demo only.
Don't need to include everything.

> However much you hate skype - it's needed by travellers. Recommended,
> or a substitute open-source telephony system.

Not in a demo that's supposed to be as much from Debian main as
possible, no.  For the same reason, I don't include Acroread or
Flash Player.

> Iceweasel is ok , needs littlefox theme and doctored tool/menu bars
> and set "undecorate" and zoomed out.

Noted.

> Lid close to sleep ok, but on wake up it wants a password - had to
> Ctrl,Alt,Backspace to get the system up again.

Yeah, I noticed that.  I suppose I could just disable xscreensaver on
suspend in /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts (btw, the username is 'user'
and password is 'live').

> Wifi dies during sleep, had to reconnect, so no downloading possible
> with lid closed. Could sleep be dependant on nothing running?

Eh?  You can't download when asleep anyway :) and yes, when it wakes up
again you'll have to reconnect.  That's just the nature of wicd, I
guess, unless you configure it to 'autoconnect' perhaps?  untested.
Network Manager is another possibility, but not the one in Lenny.

> Another good job Ben - thanks:)

Thank you for testing, John, and for your suggestions.

Ben