[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debian-eeepc-devel] Running Eee with lid closed considered harmful?

John jpinks at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 12:08:31 UTC 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John <jpinks at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 00:41:20 +1245
Subject: Re: [Debian-eeepc-devel] Running Eee with lid closed
considered harmful?
To: Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>

On 22/04/2009, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 12:28:55 +0200
> Santi Béjar <santi at agolina.net> wrote:
>> It has been discussed in the past. The main issue is that the Eee uses
>> the keyboard to cool the machine, so the only sane/safe thing to do is
>> to suspend.
>>
>> You can always, at your own risk, modify the action in
>> /etc/acpi/actions/lid.sh.
>
> I think the risks may be somewhat overstated, so we need to be clearer
> on this point.  Please supply evidence that this is harmful.  My
> experience with the model 4G is that it is safe to leave the lid closed
> along as you apply some common sense.
>
> My Eee is now nearly a year and a half old.  In that time, I have more
> than once accidentally left the lid closed with the system running
> *and* left it in that state in my not-well-ventilated bag.  Upon
> discovering this hours later, the temperature was reported to be around
> 68C.  There is no evidence that the system sustained any damage from
> these events.  Granted, this is only one data point, so you can't draw
> any general conclusions from it.  However, it suggests that if you
> exercise some prudence (i.e. don't leave it running with the lid
> closed and run something CPU-intensive and/or block the vent) there
> should be no problem running it with the lid closed, even for extended
> periods of time.
>
> Ben

My 701 runs all the time (currently 5 days) with the lid closed, but
out of it's bag when it's not traveling with me. It is acting as a
server and I control it by ssh -X from a big old laptop that has a
decent keyboard and screen size. It has not (so far) caused any
heat-related problems. There is an issue with the sound going
"strange" in the browser player on the remote machine when left to
itself overnight, but I just re-start the browser to fix that.

Slainte,
John

--
My house for sale in Peru. http://www.580elbosque.idimo.net