[Debian-eeepc-devel] Should I reinstall from scratch?

Fabien pogzy at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 13 07:27:01 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I am running a debian + lxde on a eeePC 701 (4G). I've installed Debian there is quite a time and it was a 2.26 kernel. I've upgraded it to 2.29, moved repo to lenny, then recently to squeeze, tried to install 2.6.30 but with 2.6.30 lxde screen config was wrong (too big & seeing only top screen, don't see the menu anymore).

At this time, wifi is not working animore, Fn+F2 toggle on/off the led but wicd does not see any wireless network, I renamed the eth0 to wlan0 as told in the wiki but it doesn't help.

When I tried 2.6.30 then back to 2.6.29, the touchpad is now acting as a sinple mouse, no tapping to double click or right click.

If I install from scratch the debian from the wiki link, do you know if there is lxde on the repo and which kernel version will be installed and if my touchpad/wifi issues will be removed?

If so, as I am a single user & nobody else use my eeePC, Do I need any session manager?
I've installed basic debian, gdm, x and lxde. Is gdm needed? What is the way to have a minimalist lxde install?

Regards
Fabien