[Debian-eeepc-devel] Re : Should I reinstall from scratch?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Aug 15 10:10:39 UTC 2009

I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as wrong in your
xorg.conf. Maybe we should look at your /var/log/Xorg.0.log too.
That may give us clues about your touchpad issues.

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 06:42:56 -0700 (PDT)
Fabien <pogzy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You can use a kernel backport of the Sid kernels on Lenny.
> o Add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
>  deb http://backports.undebian.org/repositories/backports-kernel/ ./
>  Add the key: wget -q -O - http://backports.undebian.org/repositories/backports-kernel/archive-key.asc | apt-key add -
> =>The last time I tried, eeePC didn't want to access this repo, even the wget fails. My 2.6.29 kernel comes from regular lenny repo.

How is that possible?  2.6.29 is not, nor ever was in lenny.  Nor
is it in any Debian repository right now.

Also, 2.6.29 is not in the backports.undebian.org repository named
above. 2.6.30 has been the current version for a long time, now.  So if
you're trying to wget a 2.6.29 kernel, of course that will fail.  I
checked updating from backports.undebian.org today and it is fine.  Are
you sure you have the right address?  Or maybe there was some temporary
problem with the repository that is now solved.  Try again?

>     * If you formerly used madwifi and are therefore switching to ath5k, remove madwifi-tools, as it blacklists ath5k.
> =>Synaptic claims that madwifi-tools is not installed so it should be OK.

OK, so there is no reference to ath5k in /etc/modprobe.d/ at all now?

$ grep ath5k /etc/modprobe.d/*

>     * The interface name in ath5k is now wlan0, so any config files referencing ath0 need to be changed (e.g. /etc/network/interfaces). Please do not simply add the wlan0 lines and let ath0 remain there, this could give problems. Just rename :D
> =>OK, ath0 renammed in wlan0 in /etc/network/interfaces

Ah, except if you're using wicd, it says:

http://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#wicd-forXfce.2CLXDE.2CFluxbox

"wicd (Wireless Interface Connection Daemon) is an alternative to
NetworkManager. It is environment independent, making it a perfect
replacement for other desktop environments (e.g. Xfce, LXDE, Fluxbox,
etc.). Like NetworkManager, wicd is configured via a graphical
interface. Your wireless interface should not be referenced within
Debian's /etc/network/interfaces file."

So if you had ath0 in /etc/network/interfaces before and were trying to
make that work with wicd, that is wrong.  You should not now have wlan0
in there either if you are using wicd.

This is probably why wifi will not work for you.

> =>Is there some package to remove?

Any package you may still have would be for the 2.6.26 kernel.  You
can remove any atl2 modules package if you wish, but there is no harm
in leaving it there.

> =>then reboot, nothing change
>
> In wicd, there is in Advanced Settings WPA Supplicant with a combo on Driver that can be set to wext or atmel or ralink_legacy, I've tried all but it changed nothing, which one has to be set?

wext

Ben