[Debian-eeepc-devel] Problems with wlan on a 1005HA-M

Alan Jenkins sourcejedi.lkml at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 20 13:38:58 UTC 2009

On 8/20/09, Karsten Jaeger <lists at oss42.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've just ask in IRC for help and was ask to write it to the list.
>
> Last week I bought my EeePC 1005HA-M. It comes with Windows and Ubuntu
> Installation, everything works fine.
> Because my favorite OS is Debian I install it on the EeePC with
> Standard-Lenny and kernel linux-image-2.6.31-rc5, updating it to sid and
> everything worked fine. I updated it last sunday with latest sid and
> kernel linux-image-2.6.31-rc6, put in in sleep mode (which worked fine
> before) and want to restart it again on monday but nothing worked, I
> have a black screen and it do not return from sleep. So I do an cold reboot.
> After that, my wlan said, it have an segmentation fault and also gives
> the line back:
>
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 132
> Because I want to change some more, I do reinstalling it all, but since
> than, I can't get wlan to work again.
>
> As attachment I give you some files, that I do think are nessesary. If
> you need more, just give a hint.

That looks like the new rfkill error code.  Basically it means the
wireless has been disabled.  I guess the segmentation fault is a
userspace bug, unless you also see a BUG message in dmesg.

You should definitely be able to re-enable the wireless using the BIOS
setup screen... try these instructions:

<http://www.1-script.com/forums/wireless-card-and-camera-no-longer-work-or-show-in-hardware-article46509--25.htm>

Are you able to confirm that this happens just by upgrading the
kernel?  If so, there's only one eeepc-laptop commit between -rc5 and
-rc6, and I'm afraid it's mine.

I re-wrote it again for 2.6.32 in a slightly more sensible way.  If
we're lucky, your problem is fixed by the re-write and it can be
expedited for 2.6.31.  I've attached the relevant changes as a test
patch; it should apply cleanly to 2.6.31-rc6.

Regards
Alan