[Debian-eeepc-devel] Idea about partitioning on 901

Ernesto Domato edomat at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:19:06 UTC 2009

Well, I'd decided to reinstall my Eee 901 because the first time, I'd
used LVM to join the two internal SSD. The problem that I see with
this is that because of the slow write performance on the 16Gb disc,
sometimes the machines hangs for several seconds waiting for something
to finish. Maybe this is not related to LVM and the second disc, but
after reading the wiki article about the problem with Mozilla
(http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/TipsAndTricks#SpeedupsluggishIceweasel.2BAC8-Firefox3)
I thought that maybe some changes on the partitioning may help to the
situation.

So, this is what I was thinking and will like to know your feedback:

The 4Gb disc is the fastest at writing, so my idea is to create 2
partitions. The first one will be 1Gb for /var since the system writes
often here (for example, on /var/log) and the second will  3Gb for
/home (I'll explain why this soon).

Then, on the 16Gb create two more partitions. The first will be 4Gb
for / and the second one will be 12Gb for /var/local/homes_data

So, the idea of the 3Gb partition mounted on /home is to be used for
all the dot-directory (the hidden ones) that use to be updated often
by the programs you use to keep configuration changes and things like
that (see the Mozilla problem that I point before). The rest (for
example the Desktop directory) is linked to
/var/local/homes_data/$USER for storage purpose.

As you can see, the whole idea is to try to gain the maximum
performance from this nice machine.

What did you think?.

Thanks.
Ernesto.