[Debian-eeepc-devel] Idea about partitioning on 901

Daniel Moerner dmoerner at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 19:00:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Ernesto Domato<edomat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I'd decided to reinstall my Eee 901 because the first time, I'd
> used LVM to join the two internal SSD. The problem that I see with
> this is that because of the slow write performance on the 16Gb disc,
> sometimes the machines hangs for several seconds waiting for something
> to finish. Maybe this is not related to LVM and the second disc, but
> after reading the wiki article about the problem with Mozilla
> (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/TipsAndTricks#SpeedupsluggishIceweasel.2BAC8-Firefox3)
> I thought that maybe some changes on the partitioning may help to the
> situation.

My current setup is the first. I have bridged the two internal SSDs using LVM, and I am using a fully encrypted partition volume on top of that which contains an ext4 root. I have seen no problems with slower write performance using this setup. I used to do the tip about speeding up Mozilla and then just turned it off; I see no hiccups in everyday use with firefox and I only have /var/tmp and /tmp on tmpfs.

The only case in which I found there to be an interminably slow behavior was when using pbuilder; I use cowdancer anyway which is very fast on the eeepc.

So for my two cents of unscientific research, I'm not sure if your complex system is worth it.

Daniel

--
Daniel Moerner <dmoerner at gmail.com>