[Debian-eeepc-devel] 5 second boot desktop with documentation

Alan Jenkins sourcejedi.lkml at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 24 09:55:00 UTC 2009

On 6/24/09, Frédéric Boiteux <fboiteux at calistel.com> wrote:
> Le Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:32:34 +0200,
> Jelle de Jong <jelledejong at powercraft.nl> a écrit :
>
>> Thanks for your email, I did some testing please see the attachments.
>> is causing the delay :D
>>
>> time modprobe eeepc-laptop
>>     real    0m17.319s
>>     user    0m0.008s
>>     sys     0m0.060s
>>
>> The printk.time=1 did not do anything on my system

Never mind, it's not actually a sysctl but it looks like it was
enabled anyway.  (It's the timestamps in square brackets in dmesg).

>>, also see the logs,
>> and according /proc/modules I am also not using the pciehp module.
>

>   Hello,
>
>   I had the same problem with eeepc-laptop module taking about 20 s to
> be loaded with previous kernel (2.6.29) ; I did solve it by adding a
> boot parameter, 'acpi_enforce_resources=strict', as stated here :
> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-eeepc-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org/msg01757.html
>
> I don't know if it's the same problem and if this proposed solution
> works with a 2.6.30, but I'll test it soon as my eeepc (1002HA) has the
> same problem than yours,

That would make sense.  The next post says it should be fixed in
2.6.30 without the option though.

<http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-eeepc-devel%40lists.alioth.debian.org/msg01759.html>

> excepted that with a Lenny+Gnone system, I go
> to 1'01 to boot :-( I wonder how you can boot in less than 10s, as my
> system only load all needed(?) modules with udev in about 20 s !

module-init-tools from unstable is much faster.  I can't advise
upgrading it alone, but it is possible [1].  I guess the other 40
seconds is your punishment for choosing a hard drive model :-).
"readahead"/"prefetch" would help a bit with that, I dunno if there's
a package in Lenny.

Alan

[1] Newer versions of module-init-tools will warn about config files,
which should now be given a ".conf" extension - and some time in the
future it will ignore config files without the extension.  You might
be able to downgrade it again once that happens, but you need to be
very confident that you can recover a broken system, and be able to
revert the config files in case they gained new options which are not
backwards-compatible.  This is not a drill, m-i-t is under active
development and has broken compatibility in the past :-).