[Debian-eeepc-devel] linux kernel, CONFIG_HZ_ and netbook

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Thu Feb 25 10:29:07 UTC 2010

On 25/02/10 06:22 AM, giggzounet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm compiling the last kernel. And I have a doubt on the choice of
> CONFIG_HZ : 250, 300 or 1000Hz ? On desktop computers I always set
> 1000Hz, but for my netbook I don't know : does the computer consume
> more energy with 1000hz ? Do you have Papers on this topic ?

I don't know.  Outside of the scope of our project.

I assume Debian has chosen reasonable defaults:

CONFIG_NO_HZ=y
CONFIG_HZ_250=y
CONFIG_HZ=250

The first one makes the stock Debian kernel 'tickless' which results in
considerable power savings:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=651&num=1

Ben