[Debian-eeepc-devel] wish for eeepc-acpi-scripts : wifi/bluetooth alternate toggle

Alan Jenkins sourcejedi.lkml at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 24 09:33:29 UTC 2010

On 3/20/10, Darren Salt <linux at youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I demand that giggzounet may or may not have written...
>
>> On several eeepc there are bluetooth and wifi. On the eeepc 1201n there is
>> just one button to control them : the fn+f2 hotkey. Under w7 when we push
>> fn+f2 one time, we enable both wifi and bluetooth; when we push another
>> time wifi is on, bluetooth is off; when we push another time wifi is off,
>> bluetooth is on; and when we push another time both are disabled. the
>> enable/disable occurs a few seconds after the push in order to have the
>> time to choose.
>
>> With the actual eeepc-acpi-script, when I push fn+f2 it toggles the wifi
>> through rfkill. it works great. I have seen that there is in the files the
>> bluetooth toggle. Is it possible to have a similar alternate toggle like
>> under w7 ?
>
> The Fn-F2 handling is done entirely in-kernel. While it could be done using
> another key, that in-kernel handling makes it not worthwhile.

Newer kernels allow it to be overridden.  The code is straightforward;
all the work would be the user interface, and any integration with the
rest of the system.

There's an unfortunate hardware bug where my 701 will toggle the
wireless without the kernel doing anything, but that only happens if
you hibernate and remove the battery.

Alan